One of the functions of the Dar es Salaam Institute of Technology (DIT) is to provide facilities for study and training in the principles, procedures and techniques and conduct training programmes in Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Science and Laboratory Technology, Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering, and other related disciplines as the Institute may from time to time decide.
The ILCG department at Dar es Salaam Institute of Technology has two functional sections, namely Industrial Practical Training (IPT) coordination and Career Counseling. The Industrial Liaison Officer (ILO) is the overall in-charge of the day to day activities of the department. The ILO is supposed to be assisted by two officers, namely the Career Counselor and the IPT Officer. However, since the posts for the Career Counselor and IPT coordinator are still vacant, the department coordinators assist the ILO on both functions (career counseling and IPT coordination). Thus, the main link between the ILCG Department and other academic departments is through the Departmental ILCG coordinators.
Industrial Practical Training (IPT) is one of the modules included in all academic programmes at the Dar DIT. IPT is therefore an essential integral part of all the training programmes offered by the Institute. The main objective of IPT is to provide an opportunity to students to merge theory and practice.
On the IPT matters, the department coordinators are responsible for the following main tasks and duties:
Soliciting IPT placements for all students at the Institute
Allocate IPT places to undergraduate students;
- Planning and coordinating IPT supervision
- Coordinating study visits for students and staff to industries and companies
- Coordinating study visits for students and staff from other Institutions
- Coordinating professional lectures for students in and outside the Institute
- Coordinating staff professional attachments to industries and companies
- Coordinating employment opportunities for the Institute’s graduates
On the Career counseling matters, the department coordinators are responsible for the following main tasks and duties:
- Identifying and providing solutions to existing potential recruitment problems for the graduates
- Identifying, coordinating and streamlining professional requirements against industry employer’s needs and demands
- Organizing and coordinating job placements and career guidance services
- Organizing and managing database on DIT graduates
- Locating the whereabouts of the DIT graduates in the industry
- Soliciting feedback information on DIT graduate’s performance at their respective work stations and establishing a benchmarking system
- Coordinating matters related to facilities in exhibitions and publicity
Industrial Practical Training (IPT)IPT is one of the modules included in all academic programmes at the Institute. It is therefore an essential integral part of the entire training. Thus, the IPT Modules are treated as courses of succeeding year for all Ordinary Diploma and Bachelor Programmes. The main objective is to provide an opportunity to students to merge theory and practical.